Sunday, January 24, 2010

More Gain, More Pain (Session 2)

Time: 40 Minutes, 30 Seconds
Distance: 4.1 Miles
Location: College of Staten Island Track

I had a larger gap of time between this and my last sessions than I'd have liked. The day following my previous session last week I began to feel a very sharp pain on the right side of my right ankle. It hurt mostly going up and down stairs, and walking on hard floors (most actively when I'd first wake up in the morning). It reminded me of a heel spur I had over a year ago. I probably could have run through it, but after the stress fracture I'm not feeling as bold as I used to; when it comes to brushing off potential injuries. The pain's subsided a great deal however, and hopefully won't return tomorrow!

My run was great. It's taking some time to get used to the heart rate monitor, as it seems to be slowing me down. Every time my heart beat reaches 185bpm the damn thing decides it wants to go nuts (basically indicating I need to slow down, before I burn out). It's definitely an adjustment from just going all out, and running as fast as I can, for as long as I can; before my body just crashes out on itself... Needless to say, the gadget is working as intended.

Post run: My knees haven't ached so bad in a long, long time... I'm hoping to up my distance to at least 4.5 (maybe 5) for next session, and also hoping that it doesn't take me a whole week to recover from today.

Also, I've signed up for the NYRR Gridiron Classic (4 Miles). It is the first race I ever ran, and will mark my 1 year anniversary into the world of racing. I've definitely got bittersweet memories of running it last year. Not only had it been my first race, but it had also been my first time ever running outdoors and in Central Park and up the damn hills in Central Park. When I'd finished I was starving, stressed, aching, and had a massive headache. Despite all that, I kept running.

No comments:

Post a Comment